Friday 3 August 2007

Salcombe


I am back to 'my room' after a week spent at the seaside with 'my family'. It was lovely, even the moody British weather didn't manage to spoil our time there. Yes, there was some rain, but on the whole we had lots of sunshine, much more than we had expected, and a very nice holiday as a result.

I love Devon. It's so beautiful, and when the weather is nice, well it's just breathtaking- the sunshine reflected by the turquoise water, the boats slowly rocking on the waves, the delicate sea breeze on my face, the hills and the stunning rocks- what is there not to love?

The only downside of the area is that it is the favourite place of the British well-off middle class families to spend their holidays, as a result walking along the charming little streets of the town one is in danger of hearing too many empty-headed, narrow-minded and snobbish conversations of these people. This really puts me off of the entire nation. Favourite topics- clothes, gossip, property prices, and properties themselves, posh schools to which their kids ought to be sent and more of the such- it is really quite distasteful. And these people do actually feel that they are on top of the world, right after the aristocracy that is...

2 comments:

Piotr said...

You know, these conversations could be excellent material for a cabaret. I was in a similar situation the other day and just wished I had a voice recorder. But the only thing I could do was to enjoy the moment:)

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.