Thursday 9 August 2007

Complaint

It's only nine o'clock and I'm already in bad mood, likely to stay this way for the rest of the day.
I'd just like to say that I love children, this is why I want to teach and this is why I am a nanny. Children are cute and interesting, full of surprises, etc.
But I do not have any children of my own and I don't plan to have any, not in the near future at least. Being a teacher or a nanny gives one a big advantage over being a parent- there are times when there are no children with you and near you, when you can have a bit of a break, sometimes so necessary, from their company. At least this is what it should be like.
This is why I am in such a state at the moment. It is selfish what I am going to say and I do feel ashamed but my grumpiness is stronger than me this morning. The thing is, that in order to be good with children I need to be psychologically ready for their company. And living in the same house with two of them I know that when I come downstairs for breakfast I need to be prepared that the will want my company and I am OK with that- OK because I am prepared.
Today at 7:30 I was not prepared for two children running into my room- one jumping on to of me and the other demanding the permission to play on the computer. They then returned into the room in a similar manner every time when I managed to get all snugly again. The reason why this took place- they are spending the morning with their daddy, who doesn't give a fig where his children are and what they are doing. I begin to believe that men are hopeless careproviders... It is his fault that I am unnerved by the children that I love so much.
I am unnerved because I hate being woken up by surprise. I tend to wake up a few minutes before my alarm clock rings, and even the fact that it was an alarm waking me up not myself can leave me grumpy for the rest of the day. Now, two children violating my personal space when I was planning to sleep for another 2 hours leave me feeling a bit edgy. And I need to recover fast, cause in an hour I take over the responsibility of looking after them and I can't allow myself for any hostile feelings. I need to be happy and sunny and loving and caring. What shall I do to get back on track? Yoga?!? I feel so angry at the moment, I don't even trust myself to go for a breakfast as I would certainly meet my host-dad there and I don't feel like saying 'good morning' to him today...
Those are the adventures of me back in my au pair shoes... the shoes which are not always quite as comfortable as I would wish them to be...

No comments: